13 November 2009

Here it is, people, the long awaited blog post (just humor me). Many things happened during the time I didn`t blog, the two most interesting being going to an onsen last sunday and to see Les Miserables today. I`ll discuss today first, since it`s still fresh in my mind.
So apparently my entire school goes to see a play once a year, for cultural purposes. Last year it was Elizabart, the emperor`s wife. (I probably got the title wrong, it was really hard to understand what they were saying.) This year was Les Miserables. My host parents were both busy today so I rode the train to the Imperial theater alone. I didn`t get lost, and I was very proud of myself. The only difficult part was finding the exit in the train station. The station had all these random tunnels and passage ways and ticket booths, and there werent any exit signs until you actually got to the exit, AND there were about 20 different exits! Seriously confusing. But I eventually found the exit ticket thingies and then ended up climbing this random set of stairs to get out. The stairs had about 4 flights and about 2 flights up(the station was underground) there was a barber shop. Weird huh? Wish I`d taken a picture...... Anyways once I discovered the exit I then went to the theater. The play itself was fine, with lots of special effects and a good orchestra. But since I couldn`t understand the songs it took a bit of the pleasure away. The costumes were good, though. It was fun seeing all those Japanese people in old fashioned western clothes. Also all the men had pony tails. Yay pony tails! And I mean the hairstyle, in case you`re thinking of anything weird. -_- Anyhoo, that was my experience with the play. I won`t be going to school tomorrow cause I have this Japanese proficiency test coming up in about a month and I seriously need to study. Also tomorrow my host parent`s 60 year old friends are coming over for a BBQ. So I need to mentally prepare for being told over and over and over how `kawaii` I am and how much they envy me for being young. Which is the stupidest thing to be envious over. They were young too, or have they forgotten? It`s a trial on the nerves to put up with them. Speaking of them, I nearly went crazy dealing when I went to the onsen with them. They came with me and my host mom. They DO NOT know how to use technology. A three hour car drive turned into a six hour one because they kept missing the turns that their GPS told them to make. They also COULD NOT stay concentrated. For example: Host mom`s friend A"oh look there are so many grape vines!" Host mom(while driving)"You`re right!"(HM looks around(while driving) and inadvertently steps on the brakes, causing cars to honk and swerve. HM&friends look surprised and wonder why they are being honked at)HMFA"Since their are so many grape vines, maybe there is a winery around that corner!"(The hell kinda logic is that?)HMFB"Lets look!" HM suddenly turns around the corner, causing cars to honk *surprise*HMFA "Oh, there isnt a winery" HMFB" maybe there is one around that corner!" HM" lets go see!" And so on. This continued for about 30 minutes before we found a place that sold wine(note, I didn`t say "winery" I said "place that sold wine". Then it took us a further half hour just to get back to the place where they first decided they wanted wine. But enough complaining. The onsen itself was great, it was at the foot(not literally) of mt. fuji so i got to take pictures, and it had delicious food and I got to wear a Yukata(just for pjs, though). The onsen also sold some really weird Japanese foods, which I wanted to buy but didn`t cause they were rather expensive. Well, anyway. The experience was worth it overall, if only to prove that I am pretty good at keeping my temper. HM&co. never discovered how incredibly annoyed I was. Anyways my host mom keeps looking at the clock and then at me so I figure it`s about time to get off. I`ll continue this post tomorrow, if I have time. Well, Ja ne.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Em, it's 6:29 am here Friday. I was looking at your blog photograph when your current blog popped up...you must have just posted it!
    Today is a work day for me. I leave at 7 am in order to avoid the new and extremely heavy traffic on 19/23/ I 26 that has happened since I-40 was closed going toward Tennessee due to a huge rock slide that covered the interstate. so, our road is the alternate into Tennessee. You, as a new driver, would be very aware of the huge increase of traffic, especially tractor-trailer trucks! so, I leave early and enjoy a few minutes of quiet at the church office before the phone starts to ring at 8 am.
    I read Anna's blogs...both of you could write a book of shared conversations!
    I'm going to Saline, MI next week to visit Uncle John and Aunt Susan and Cousins Bella, Kate and Thomas. Bella is doing cheerleading and taking violin lessons. Kate is in soccer and piano. Thomas is in kindergarten, adapting to other 5 year olds! I'll be with the for Thanksgiving.
    Halloween night was fun for all in spite of the constant and cold rain...all the kids returned to your home completely soaked! Your mom and I and Micah stayed home by the fire while everyone else went out trick-or-treating. Your dad bbq's burgers and veggie burgers and folks brought salads. Lots of activity in your house.
    Grandpa Ron's bolo-flex exercise machine is now in the basement bedroom of your home as well as the stationary bike and some other exercise machine that I can't describe. also there is a Migun bed...great massage with heat.
    No excuse not to be in shape.
    Coco-doggy and Faithful and Obama Pounce Ralph are up to their typical lifestyles. I always enjoy visiting them, especially when the cats get on my lap for petting...yesterday Obama climbed on my back when I bent over to pet Coco...weird black cat! He still has only one white whisker.
    Is there a bit hullabuloo over Obama's visit to Tokyo? Is he looking you up?
    Gonna get of and head out after I pack my lunch.
    I saw "Don Giovanni" opera in Mexico City in Spanish 4 years ago...it was lush in color and costume and lusty in voice power...not understanding all of the language was ok because an English-speaking Mexican was sitting next to me!
    your blogs are so much fun to read, thanks, honey.
    I love you always, grandma Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, your GOING to be funnier than I am. Do you fear for your life in the car with HM&co? Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    Emily,
    I love your story, and it's great to 'hear' from you as I am just back from visiting your life (sort of) that is your family and home-stead in Weaverville. I treated myself to a weekend in Asheville since I haven't been there in too long, and I got to stay in your room and see the school, your house, the whole scene, your darling siblings and pets...it sounds like you are having an amazing time over there, and your HM&Co. story reads like the beginning of a great novel to me. So my getaway weekend in Asheville (to give you a taste of the familiar) included a lengthy visit to the famed NCA of Asheville, very wonderful, then sitting on that awesome porch you guys have (got to see your Grandma Judy, a bonus) and then coctails in the hot tub and then 'sean of the dead' in your mom and dad's bed w/ everyone (minus you and the dog and the cats)...then on Saturday your mom and I went to Asheville, a splendid day spa for intensive massage & facials (like they do in Oz), a little shopping and Larry resculpted my hair with a pair of scissors (because I asked his advice about curly hair product--so I scored a new rad hair-do for free) and long stretches of uninterrupted gabbing as you know your mom and I like to do.
    I've never blogged before so you know I love you, keep having a great time & see you sometime next year,

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where is your new post???? It has been 16 days!! My whole life revolves around reading your posts. So post!!

    xo
    Mom

    ReplyDelete