20 October 2009

Last Tuesday, I joined the Tea Ceremony club at my school. Silly thing to do. I have club after school on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and I don`t get back home until 8:30. I was already exhausted and then I had to go and add even more to my already overflowing schedule! See, aren't i silly? I really ought to think before I act. But the club IS really fun. So far I`ve learned the proper way to fold the orange cloth that is used to clean the bowl, tea scooper, and tea holder during the ceremony. Those things all have special names, but I cant remember them. I also learned how to act when offered tea. The whole thing is rather complicated. Also, on Mondays I do Japanese flower arranging. Ive only done it once, but it was rather enjoyable. We did a triangle style with daisies, carnations, and red branches(from a tree). Also since I joined the club, I`ve started walking home with two girls named Ayumi and Ayame. They`re both really nice. Yesterday, we were talking about America and I told them that I had seen obama in person. They were very amazed. Also last week, was my school`s sports festival. So much fun! Although I actually didn't do much, I only had two events in the morning and then I just watched for the rest of the day. But it was still fun. :) Most of the events were pretty normal, like relay races, and tug of war, etc. But some were really weird. Like when everyone got dressed in their club outfits and raced. They also had to do certain things at the checkpoints that had to do with their club. Like the kendo peeps had to perform a fighting sequence and so on. Yup. That`s about it.

So a while back(this was before I got my ipod)I was riding the train on my way home from school and all of a sudden this Japanese woman starts to talk to me in english. She asked if I was an exchange student living in japan. I was so surprised that I answered immediately. Then we got into a conversation. Apparently the woman was on her way to narita airport to pick up her sister who was returning home after spending several years living in America. The woman on the train had also lived in America(Michigan, I think) for several years. I told her I was here for six months as an exchange student, but I`d only been there for a little while. The whole experience was so surreal and unexpected, I really didn`t know what to make of it.

Well, I have to get off to take a bath and go to bed soon, so yeah. Oh! And tommorow, I have a day off school(don`t know why) and so I`m going to a Japanese history museum with my host mom. That`ll be fun, right? Anyways. Night.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post honey! Have fun at the museum today. We are still waiting for your letters but as soon as we get them I will write you a really long one back. Anna really wants to talk to you on skpe- maybe you can figure out a time! It was so great for me even though I didn't get to hear your voice. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily, nice post! Enjoy yourself and don't worry about sleeping you can do that when you get back to the states. We are going to write you letters and send photos soon, I promise. Have a great day tommorrow. Love dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now when I ask you if you want tea, what is going to happen? a long formal reply? fun.
    So, Ikebana, flower arranging, right? Don't you love the "elements" of design to contemplate in arranging? I have wondered if there are any Ikebana arrangements in your host parents' home? You can make some for them.
    Hope you got our Halloween treat package. It was fun putting it together.
    Daisy's "Princess Peach" gown is finished for Halloween. Frank will be "Mario" and Cadan Carter will be Mario's sidekick, I can't remember the name of the character.
    We all got firewood delivered...Gregg brought mine over. They have had some fireplace times, but I haven't done it yet. Some nights already have been in the '30's...argh.

    I went to Asheville Opera, "Marriage of Figaro," and sat in the very top row of the balcony...miles away from the stage...almost got dizzy from the height! They sang in Italian, and English was flashed on a screen above the stage...a very nice new assist for those of us who don't read Italian! The audience laughed a lot..funny things happen because singers are hiding from each other on stage and making huge ridiculous faces and gestures. Music is really beautiful.

    How nice to meet the lady on the train who spoke English to you. Imagine when you are in America speaking Japanese to a Japanese person! When I returned from Korea, I was able to say a few words to the Korean folks in California that I would see, usually at a dry cleaners or at a quik stop in a gas station. Their eyes would get huge...almost round!

    I love you always and tell everyone what you are blogging about. They are all so proud for you. xo, Grandma Judy

    ReplyDelete