28 September 2009

I am so terribly sorry that I haven`t blogged in so long. I was attacked by a sudden bout of homesickness and was unable to do anything that reminded me of home without tearing up. And I couldn`t really afford to be crying while here so I simply avoided all things American. This next paragraph is from two weeks ago when I started this blog post.

You remember that I told you I had a few days off from school for silver week? Well, then my school had to go and make me come to school over the weekend, to make up for those days lost. School administration annoys me, even here. But it was still okay, because that weekend was MY SCHOOL`S FESTIVAL!!! It was so much fun! But I didn`t get to do everything that I wanted. So saddening. But the festival was exactly the kind of thing that people like daisy and anna would love. There was dagashi and dango and gyoza and udon curry and a bunch of other things that I didn`t know what they were. It was all so yummy! And then there was tea ceremony club(the girls wore yukatas, they were so cute), japanese drumming, games, plays(and yes, they did in fact put on a production of HSM 3, I still cant get over how much they like it), and my favorite: synchronized dancing. There was also some cosplay and dancing. I took tons of photos, but as I still can`t figure out how to upload the stupid things, you`ll just have to wait.

So now I`m going to tell you about the past two(or so) weeks. This upcoming week will be my school`s sport`s festival. Geez, I nearly wrote that last sentance in Japanese. I need to be careful. I`m not quite sure what the festival will be like, but it`ll probably be fun, right? I also sent in an application for the Level 4 Japanese Proficiency test. I`ll be taking it this December. I`ll almost certainly fail miserably. I took a level three practice test and I couldn`t even figure out what part of the test I was supposed to be on. There are three sections(I think). So I just filled in the bubbles in the design of a face and I got half right! I was seriously surprised. 0-0. But I promise to study hard and try to actually understand what I`m doing in the real test. Also, this past week, I actually took the train home with someone! The girl`s name is Hitomi and shes in my calligraphy class. Her station is one stop before mine. She also isn`t in a club, so I`ll probably get to take the train with her again. I`m so happy. :) I also went to another afs meeting and all the exchange students had to make a treat from their home country. I made chocolate chip cookies. They had never had them before but they thought that they were delicious. I doing pretty well in all my classes at school, except for this one class that I don`t even know what subject is being taught and Biology. We`re studying genetics and I so don`t get it. I think I`ve already mentioned this, but i don`t know.

Well, I thought that I was going to have to rant in this post but it turned out surprisingly cheery. I feel much better than I did when I started typing. Sorry this is so short, but the wit just isn`t flowing from my fingers like it normally does. Oh, and this is rather random but I really miss soccer. The boy`s soccer team at my school always practices right outside my classroom(which is on the third floor) and it kills me. I can`t even watch cause I don`t have a window seat. It makes me so frustrated every day. Girls just don`t really play soccer in japan. Also random, But apparently my school is a prestigious private school that the majority of students can`t get accepted into. And we changed into our winter uniforms, which look pretty dang...prestigious. Argh, I so didn`t want to use that word again but I COULD NOT think of a synonym.

I sent letters to my family and they should be there in about a week. Also, any requests for presents should be submitted now, before all spots are taken. I seem to be making less and less sense as this blog continues so....Yours Truly, Emily

6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear from you honey! We all miss you so much too. I'm glad you made a friend for the train ride. We'll get you signed up for soccer for the spring when you get back! I hope your camera has plenty of memory to store all those photos. I know you don't particularly like facebook, but Daisy and Anna and I check it every day so if you would put a status update about anything, even if it seems silly or irrelevant, we would all be thrilled. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY EMILY!!!!! We all miss you so much!!!!! A present would be nice.......You have no idea how much i miss you when i go to your house, I miss your delicious cooking and giggly sense of humor! i'm in the midst of writing you a letter. Can't wait to see pictures!!

    --Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. i miss you and so does tatianna! we would both love presents BIG presents AWESOME presents, tatianna is being annoying nice and saying she doesn't want presents but she really does. i am going to write you a letter and them i will mail it and then you will have it! the cultural festival sounds like AWESOMENESS!!! you should go on facebook and look at the llama pictures because llamas are awesome. well have fun over there
    Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  4. EMILY! You have no idea how much joy your new post brought me! :)) Gah! It's so crazy not seeing you all the time nonetheless not even talking to you!!
    Anyway, to the post:
    can you just not figure out how to post photos on blogger? or you can't figure out how to upload them like onto the computer? Because maybe you could try putting them on facebook?
    That festival sounds so cool and....delicious! hahaah
    You know what?
    I'm just going to message you on FB because I have too much to say. If you don't have time, you don't have to reply, but I still want to write to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's pretty unlikely, but this could be what's keeping you from uploading images.
    [IMG]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p119/firstkipchak/adblock.jpg[/IMG]
    Photobucket might work too.
    As far as fancy things go,extravagant and chichi are fun.
    Also here's a combination of soccer and education.
    Anyway, good luck and all that.
    http://fifasoccer.ru/en/flash/play/?what=freekickmania
    If you can figure out how to work it you are officially better at it than me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My, o, my, dearest Emily of mine...how I understand the far-away yearning for homeland and loved ones...my thirteen months in Korea at age 22 just out of college and still young enough to miss the familiar and safe...looking back at that time in 1962, I know I am hugely expanded in consciousness because of that experience...believe me, darling one, you are already reaping benefits beyond your most creative imagination...a big price to pay for an even bigger benefit...the picture of your host family is on your own family's refrigerator, as are pictures of you...we all look at you and them all the time...and in those moments each of us is sending you our heart's warmth and sending them our gratitude for being your hosts
    we sent you a fun Halloween treat box...you will probably get it very soon since we've figured out that it takes about 10 days and we mailed it Oct. 5...omygosh now I imagine that all those Mast General Store goodies will be a sugar overwhelm! oops.
    Frank made "do-it-yourself-flags" for LEAF...bamboo poles and white fabric and permanent markers. Daisy and Madeline and I think Tatiana helped, too, made even more elaborate and fanciful angel wings for LEAF. Turn your back and your siblings go into business for themselves!
    The rainy days continue, barely get the ground dry for the Shakespeare performances at Montford.
    Goodwill surprised me and Daisy with the perfect pink taffeta gown for $10 that we are retrofitting into a replica of the gown that the Mario girl character wears...don't remember her name...will be Daisy's Halloween show-off costume...really is elegant...we must take a picture for you...I can't remember what character Frank is planning for...I think it is a Mario character, too
    no surprises in life here ... just day to day as you remember ... Did Daisy tell you that she will be in The Nutcracker ballet this December? she'll appear in the ballroom party scene, then as a "rat" in the soldier-rat fight scene, then as a dancer in the Arabian Nights scene. So she is at practice Saturdays until forever. I volunteered to help make costumes for the 4 and 5 year olds who will dance for the first time as sugarplums, etc.
    I relish your messages...they are a book! you write wonderfully vivid images and reach-out-and-touchable emotions ... brings me right into your presence and mind
    love you forever, grandma Judy

    ReplyDelete