24 December 2009

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!!
Before I get started with this post I would like to inform you that my Christmas is not that exciting. Ill be sitting around the house today doing nothing. Well, I'm having sushi for dinner, I guess that's interesting? And I guess its still Christmas eve for y'all over there? Mind boggling. Anyways, time to start.
Exciting things that have happened to me since my last post:
I went to Harajuku!!! Finally!! Harajuku is in Tokyo, and it was awesome. Its this really crowded rather narrow street filled with stores and food and booths selling all sorts of things related to Japanese pop culture. My favorite thing was the melon pan key chains with faces. They were sooooo cute!! And scented like the real thing! But I didn't buy one. I was short on money. And after my friend and I wandered around Harajuku for several hours, we then, of course, did karaoke and purikura. We also got matching bracelets. An altogether awesome day. There was also a lot of foreigners there, probably the most that i have seen since coming here. It was so funny. I don't know why, I think it was the expressions on their faces that was so hilarious. Sort of surprised and confused and excited, all at the same time. I'm not explaining it well, but trust me, it was funny.
I also had yet another AFS meet. It was sort of an event organized for the jenesys section of AFSers, and we normal AFSers just got to tag along. The Jenesys program is just a two week home stay and its free. Which I thought was so not fair. Anyways, most of the jenesys peeps were Australian so I had the refreshing change of speaking to a native English speaker. No matter how good someone might be at English, if its not their native language there are bound to be things and expressions that they don`t understand, so I'm always careful to speak in simple English. But I didn't have to do that with the Australians, which was nice. I also met some people from orientation. It was so nostalgic. OH! Something weird. Apparently Australians don't realize they have accents! I was talking to them about America and i mentioned that they'd fit in right away because of their accents(I mean, c`mon, who DOESN'T love an Australian or British accent?)and they got all surprised and kept saying how they didn't have an accent. Weird, I know. Okay, so for what we actually did. We went and met a sumo wrestler and all got our pics taken with him. Which took all of 20 minutes. And then we went and looked at bonsai trees. Then we had a traditional Japanese lunch(yum!). And then we went and looked at a traditional Japanese doll museum. See, the Japanese have a boy festival and a girl festival once a year, and on the day, the family takes out a collection of dolls. The dolls are uber fancy and expensive, and there is one set in each family for the boys and one for the girls. I want a set. They were so gorgeous. I also want a bonsai tree and a kimono, just in case anybody cared. But all three are ridiculously high priced. A good Bonsai tree is about 2,000 dollars, kimono is 4,000 dollars, and a doll set is 3,000 dollars. I probably wont be getting any of them anytime soon.
My next exciting thing was a Christmas party. We ate pumpkin curry and played cards and went shopping and did purikura(we actually managed to fit 9 people in there) and it was a wonderful, low key Christmas party. So I guess it weren't that exciting, but still really fun.
Now here are some slightly more mundane events and observations.
So I took the Japanese proficiency test like two weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure i failed. Oh well. But I met a friend there, quite randomly. Cindy, from Germany. Have I already told you this? Cant remember. I was surprised by how few Americans there were, i mean, there were SOME, but the majority were Chinese and Hispanic. And a few Indians. And a few Africans. You know, its really rather cool that I can meet so many people from all around the world on a regular basis and its perfectly normal. Its the best thing about AFS. The worst is that they give you homework to do, even though you payed for the program. I have to write an essay about my experience IN JAPANESE. I have been studying Japanese all of three and a half months, and they want me to write an essay. I don't even know what i would say in English. If I say any of my true feelings, ill end up insulting someone, but i hate being cheesy and false. And they JUST gave it to me and they want it on the 9th of January. Darn them. BUT my Japanese is definitely improving so maybe ill be able to pull it off. I still have more things to *talk* about but my brain is fried. Laters.
Emily

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Sounds like fun. We are trying to phone you for Christmas. Hope you liked your presents :) Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Long post. I have one question: what will they do to you if you don't write that essay? Will they make you pay a bunch of money or something? hah. seems weird to me! errrr it's going to bug me!

    ReplyDelete